4.22.2010

national jelly bean day

Everyone knows it's Earth Day today.  Did you know that it is also National Jelly Bean Day?  Jelly Beans are one of The Children's favorite candy.

If you are ever in Northern California, make sure to plan a trip to the Jelly Belly Factory.  We have been twice and highly recommend the tour.  You see the beans actually being made and smell in the air the sugary scent of the flavor of the day.  There are some wonderful jelly bean portraits of famous people on display, like Princess Di and Ronald Reagan (Patron President of the Jelly Bean.) The highlight of the trip undoubtedly is the Jelly Belly Tasting Bar.  You can check out any of the jelly beans (three at a time).  Seemingly, there is no limit to how many times you line up for more flavors, so cozy on up and sample away!

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea there was a nat'l jelly bean day!
    While I am admitted chocoholic, (I contend it is one of the major food groups), I do enjoy jelly beans. I was a bit miffed at the local grocery when they were out the classic Brach's beans a couple of weeks before Easter.

    As far as the previous post... when I have pie in the house (in particular peach or strawberry rhubarb) they become breakfast. Fruit and pastry... isn't that basically cereal and fruit? And this morning I'll be having a leftover slice of carrot cake. Other than its shape, isn't it a lot like a muffin?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that's why I like Sweet Melissa- her first chapter is named Dessert for Breakfast (which coincidentally is what I had this morning). I'm curious about your carrot cake recipe- I'm still looking for a great one- is this your fave?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe is a great one from the Frog Commissary Cookbook. I'll scan and send you a copy. The cookbook is probably the one I use most... it has recipes for killer cake (choc. fudge cake), coffee walnut choc. chip muffins, a rice salad and oven roasted potatoes all of which I've made multiple times. Looking through it this week I found a brussel sprout recipe that I think I'm going to try... includes bacon, shallots and roasted red peppers. The Commissary was a cafeteria style restaurant in Phila back in the 70's and 80's. I think now it's strictly a catering business. I'll have to check out the Sweet Melissa's one... sounds like I'd like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I know and love the coffee walnut chocolate chip muffin recipe. That's the page where my cookbook's binding is broken. My sister got it for me back in the 80's and I wish I had been able to visit. Have you been? We should try and cook some recipes together! The brussel sprout one sounds great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...