7.01.2010

national hot dog month

I cannot let this month-long celebration of America's culinary staple go without mention, considering that there are an estimated SEVEN BILLION hot dogs eaten by Americans between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Yikes.

We eat our fair share in this house, at a greater rate than I would like to admit. We are split on our favorite hot dogs to eat at home.  My favorite is Nathan's World Famous Beef Franks with Natural Casing. I love the garlicky, juicy dog, and the natural casing provides a wonderful, crisp snap.

The Husband and The Daughter's favorite is Best's Natural Casing Frank, which is sold primarily wholesale, but is available on Fridays and Saturdays, when Best Provision is open to the public. The frank is a mildly spiced, 100% beef dog, also with an excellent snap to it.  The store is located at 144 Avon Ave., Newark, NJ.

The Son does not like hot dogs.

It goes without saying that the bun (potato roll, please!) is toasted.  If we want to get all fancy, we throw some chili and cheese on it.

Here in New Jersey, there are two hot dog establishments worth mention.

The first is Rutt's Hut, which deep-fries their dogs, causing them to split.  They are known as "Rippers." Do not go for the decor, do not go for the service, ignore the sticky floor, but if you're in the neighborhood, stop by for a unique, memorable experience.

The second is Jimmy Buff's, which has four locations in the state. (One is conveniently located two miles from my house.)  They serve an Italian-style hot dog, which consists of a deep-fried hot dog, topped with potatoes, onions, and peppers, all on a quarter of a large roll of Italian "Pizza" bread.


Lastly, I must make mention of the Wienermobile. This picture in midtown Manhattan was not taken by me- I found it online. Last year, I personally caught sight of one on the local lane of the New Jersey Turnpike (probably on his way to NYC) and tried to no avail to get a decent shot on the iPhone camera. (We were on the Express side.)  I cannot tell you what a thrill the Weinermobile sighting was; the vehicle definitely brings sunshine and elicits smiles wherever it goes.

If you want to know if the vehicle will be in your neighborhood, there are five of them driving around the USA.  Click here to find their locations.

HAPPY HOT DOG EATING!

2 comments:

  1. hey, thanks for that link! it actually works just fine if I copy and paste the one in your comment into my browser. funny, my gf and I are going to D.C. next week too, from July 7 to 9, and then stopping through Philly until Sunday. I have to go for business, but it's food related business. I'm going to have to check out these hot dog places, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying looking around your blog. I am happy to have found you! NJ hot dogs are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...