8.15.2010

tropical granola {sms}

I've been dreaming of pina coladas and coconut cream pie. I am obsessed with the white flaky stuff.  Maybe it's the sweltering heat that's inducing my brain to be fixated on all things tropical.

With this week's Sweet Melissa Sundays' recipe,  I read "cherries and almonds" and imagined  "coconut, pineapples and macadamias."

And mangoes and ginger... hope you don't mind a trip to the tropics.

Thanks to Wendy of Pink Stripes for choosing this great recipe; she has the original one (Cherry and Almond Granola) on her blog.  Also, you can check out all the other wonderful bakers' granola here.



Tropical Granola
adapted from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy

4 cups rolled oats
1½ cups sweetened shredded coconut (I used unsweetened because that's what I had on hand.)
1 cup macadamia nuts
¼ cup butter
¼ cup canola oil
¾ cup pineapple coconut juice
⅓ cup brown sugar
¼ cup honey
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1⁄₈ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
¾ cup dried pineapples, diced
¾ cup dried mangoes, diced
¼ cup crystallized ginger, minced (optional, as this is a very strong flavor- I actually only used 2 tablespoons in ½ the batch.)   

Preheat oven to 250ºF.  Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment or foil.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, and macadamias.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.  Then whisk in the oil, fruit juice, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer until syrupy, about 10 minutes.

Pour the hot mixture over the oat mixture. Mix well to combine.

Spread the granola in the prepared cookie sheet.  Bake for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes, until golden.  Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Break up the granola into a bowl.  Add the pineapples, mangoes, and ginger and mix thoroughly.

The granola keeps in an airtight container at room temperature and in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.

17 comments:

  1. Awesome substitutions! The little bags look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks fantastic...thanks for another new granola recipe to try out!
    Nikki
    www.makeandtakeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks lovely! I think this week's recipe is so adaptable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT idea, this sounds delicious. I've been on a coconut kick myself lately, wish I'd thought of this! This granola recipe is great because it is so adaptable! And it sounds like you came up with a great adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! Love the tropical spin on this...I must try this version!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This granola adaption looks Crazy delicious! WoW! Love how your imagination took a swing to the tropics. Gorgeous pictures . . . everything just screams SUMMER!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the tropical spin on this! Beautiful packages. In reading everyone's reviews, I am wishing I had made this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your additions to this granola are excellent! I love the little bags you put them in..how perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds amazing Rebecca! What a wonderful idea. Your granola looks great all packaged up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love coconut also. Thanks for a great idea! The bags are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I'm thinking tropical too. Sounds like a great variation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tropical flavor profiles...

    I can never have enough coconut!

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! That looks great! I totally want to try granola with tropical flavors now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello and thank you for the great comments! You know, we did not taste a difference in the rye flakes from the oatmeal. The rye flakes "do" look like a thicker rolled oatmeal and the coloring is darker.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your version of the granola!! Even though it's summer here, I'd so much rather be on the beach somewhere tropical with a pina colada in hand :) Great packaging - your granola looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am obsessed with coconut too and love it in my granola!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...