9.03.2010

coffee and a coffee toffee chocolate cookie

The Sister brought home a bag of excellent Blue Bottle Coffee, chosen solely because of this description:


As a brewed coffee, the Amaro Gayo is a remarkable sonata of baking spices and aromatic woods. Imagine a grand piano. Now imagine playing a descending F major arpeggio over several octaves.  Now imagine that, instead of sounds, the piano produces alternating aromas of cinnamon, nutmeg, cedar, and maple. Now imagine buying a bag, going home, and making a careful pourover of the Amaro Gayo.  Optional: imagining slippers, the Times’ Style section, grapefruit macarons, and napping Irish Setters.  


Sonata? Arpeggios? Piano? How could I not enjoy this coffee? If only my piano would emanate lovely scents...


She also brought a bag of cookie mix.  Generally, I shy away from cookie mixes, but this was not just any cookie mix.  Behold, The Sister's favorite cookie in the Bay Area: 
The Coffee Toffee Chocolate Cookie


Our mission: dissect the mix, determine the amount of each ingredient and create a copycat cookie.


Fortunately, the ingredients were relatively easy to separate and break-down.  The mix was a close relative of the chocolate chip cookie, with a few oats thrown in.




















The resulting cookie was delectable.  To have just the coffee grinds and chocolate chips is not enough.  (I tried it once, because I didn't have the toffee.) The second time I used Heath toffee chips, which added a buttery, caramel dimension and softened the edges of the coffee flavor. Next time, I would like to try it with homemade toffee chunks.  (Haven't seen those at the grocery store yet, so I might attempt to make the candy.)









Coffee Toffee Chocolate Cookies
inspired by the teacake bake shop

¾ cup butter, melted and cooled
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chunks (or chips)
½ cup toffee chunks (or chips)

Preheat oven to 350º F.

In a large bowl, mix butter, sugars, egg and vanilla until well blended.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, espresso, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture; mix until well blended.
Add the chocolate and toffee chunks. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour or up to 24 hours.

Shape each cookie into walnut sized balls (about 2 tablespoons of dough) and place 2 inches apart on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet.

Bake for 13-15 minutes.

Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, then move to wire racks.























4 comments:

  1. I love the coffee description! I will be imagining a Sunday afternoon in my new Colorado & Co. microfleece sweats, the latest Martha Stewart Living magazine, a vanilla scented candle, a napping Goldendoodle and four kids playing quietly in their rooms! Send some coffee my way! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee grinds in the recipe...interesting!

    Have a great day Rebecca!

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, another great thing about these cookies is that they keep really well! I saw you on Tuesday and ate the last of the cookies on Friday and it was still yummy and not stale at all! I'm going to try making them sometime!!! thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca,
    I told this to M2 and she wanted me to make sure I told you! One fall weekend when we visited my son at college, I brought him and his fraternity brothers basic butter cookies with sprinkles (my son's favorite) AND a big batch of your coffee toffee choc chip cookies (but I didn't refer to them by that name).

    Of course my son went straight for his old favorite. BUT his friends first tried the others and couldn't get over it. I had 21 year old guys saying things like "OMG-- there's a touch of coffee in these" as they tried to figure out what tasted so good!!! It felt like I was watching an episode on Food Network! Thanks for these wonderful treats as well as your beautiful photography! Ellen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...