3.04.2013

keep calm

Blogging has been, at best, sporadic the past nine months. A variety of reasons have contributed to the slowdown:

health issues (I am trying to eat better, exercise more and bake less, though with a dearth of sweets, I've found the chips)
on demand tv viewing (so easy to while away the time in front of that box,)
and (brace yourself)


The Parent's House

Ever see the show "Hoarders"?  People are simultaneously fascinated, mortified, and disgusted by what goes on in a hoarder's home. I know I am/was, and my sweet, crazy father was living that life. He could have been on the show. Thankfully, my siblings and I convinced him to move out so we could start tackling the junk.

If it weren't for my supportive husband, siblings, and God, I would have gone a bit bonkers. It would have all become waaaay too much for me to handle.  Five dumpsters later, we are not even halfway through. The situation is still overwhelming, but there is a light at the end of the crowded tunnel.

Baking and blogging have been on the back burner, but every now and again, I partake in some food therapy. I know there are dangers of emotional eating.  I know it's not the healthy choice. I know too, though, that a chocolate chip cookie (I'm keeping it singular now!) unequivocally makes everything feel better, even if for a brief moment.

I keep calm and indulge...


I'd always been a thick and chewy kinda gal. First, it was the Cook's Illustrated Chocolate Chip Cookie. In 2008, Jacques Torres/David Leite's cookie totally toppled it and became The Gold Standard. It still is, but at a cookie exchange, I met Tate's Bake Shop Chocolate Chip Cookie. It was totally flat, totally crunchy and totally addictive. A different experience from the JT CC Cookie, I loved it almost equally.

I tried baking it three times. Twice, I ended up with a thin and chewy cookie. Third time was the charm for thin and crispy. I smooshed the tops down a bit before putting them into the oven. I waited a minute or two more to allow it get golden all the way. It's just a matter of how long you let it bake. The Son likes it best thin and chewy, The Daughter prefers thick and chewy, (she didn't like any of the batches) and I was going for thin and crispy...

What's your favorite texture?

Tate's Chocolate Chip Cookie

Printable recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup salted butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon vanila
2 large eggs
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Whisk the flour, soda and salt together in a bowl. Set aside.

In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the beater attachment, combine the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the water, vanilla and eggs to the butter mixture. Slowly mix in the flour mixture until just combined and then fold in the chocolate chips.

Using two soup spoons, drop the cookies 2" apart onto two nonstick or greased cookie sheets. Bake for 12 minutes, rotating the sheets after 6 minutes. Remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool, and repeat the process with the rest of the batter. If you like thin and slightly chewy, bake for 8-9 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.










5 comments:

  1. I am still a thick and chewy gal. But these thin and crispy ones....I don't think you even have to count them! They look calorie free! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look amazing! I like all types of cookies, chewy, soft, crunchy, raw, you name it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous cookies but I am still a chewy cookie person. I wouldn't turn these down though, not for a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cookies look amazing. So glad you came "back", baked and posted them. Good luck with many projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca, you sure look healthy... I hope you're doing OK. The cleaning must be so all-consuming (really, no pun intended).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...