3.15.2013

mint chocolate chip shake


Saint Paddy's Day is right around the corner, and green's been on my mind. Green libations, more specifically.

The first green drink I experienced was gross; my mom bamboozled me into buying barley green. I threw out the container five years past expiration date having had ingested one serving. I think also of The Healthy Sister-in-law making breakfast smoothies with the added nutritional punch of take-your-pick kale/spinach. (The Nieces and Nephew were not big fans.)


Green in a drink generally is not that appealing. Subconsciously we all think this: green=vegetable. When it comes in a milk shake form, however, all bets are off. Last week, I couldn't help but pick up a Shamrock Shake at McDonald's. Talk about green— it was neon green squared. You definitely are not mistaking it for any healthy, leafy vegetable.

For this shake, I used mint chocolate chip ice cream. I was hopeful for a bright colored shake, but the chocolate chips ended up muddying up the green color. Though the flavor was fine, The Son threw down the gauntlet, "This is good, but I like the Shamrock Shake better." Perhaps the color is confusing him???



Mint Chocolate Chip Shake
makes 2 servings

2 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream
½-¾ cup whole milk
whipped cream
grated chocolate

In a blender, combine the ice cream with the milk. Blend until smooth. Pour into two cups and top with the whipped cream and grated chocolate.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...